Chris’ practice spans the whole spectrum of regulatory compliance: preventative to reactionary to remediation. He has significant experience in advising clients on managing local and international regulatory and compliance risks. By leveraging his international experience and in collaboration with PwC Legal’s vast global network as well as PwC’s specialists in Assurance, Forensics, and Tax Chris provides clients with the complete compliance solution. Prior to moving to Hong Kong, Chris spent over 14 years in London advising a range of clients from High Net-worth Individuals to Multi-national Corporations and across a range of sectors.
On the reactionary side, Chris has led cross-border investigations into allegations of fraud, corruption, money laundering and tax evasion and has represented a number of clients subject to enforcement action from regulators and prosecutors. Using his experience, and "lessons learned" from these investigations, Chris also helps clients remediate, for example, on policy and procedures upgrades, training and developing open and transparent cultures (such as the importance of speaking out) to help further mitigate the risk of repeat offences.
Given Chris’ specialism in these areas, prior to moving to Hong Kong, Chris was a named individual in the UK’s Legal 500 in the Regulatory Investigations and Corporate Crime section where he was described as “knowledgeable, resourceful and client focused”.
Areas of expertise
- Financial crime compliance (including bribery and corruption, money laundering and tax evasion)
- Cyber Security and Data Privacy
- Fraud (including asset recovery)
- Business Ethics & Culture (including human rights and modern slavery)
- Internal and regulatory investigations and enforcement action
- Supported a retail client with their bribery and corruption compliance in Greater China, including completing a risk assessment and training employees on local and international bribery and corruption laws, risks and corporate and regulatory expectations.
- Acted for a financial services client who was the victim for c.US$200m fraud, in addition to investigating the fraud Chris helped manage interactions with the local prosecutor to bring the perpetrator to justice.
- Acted for a property development company advising on the application of local and international data privacy laws (particularly HK PDPO and EU GDPR) to their business and supported on proposed outsourcing to a third party data processor.
- Following a whistle-blower's report, Chris led an investigation into suspected corruption, fraud and tax evasion by senior executives on behalf of a client in the leisure sector, across multiple jurisdictions.
- Advised a number of inbound clients into the Greater China region, including from Europe, India and Japan, advising on relevant laws and regulations and supporting on due diligence of potential local business partners to help manage third party risks.
- On behalf of a financial and trust services provider, led a cross-border risk assessment engagement to assess the client’s bribery and corruption, money laundering and tax evasion risk across ten jurisdictions (including a number in Asia).
- Acted for a client in the logistics sector and senior executives who were subject to enforcement action for alleged bribery and corruption in a number of African and European countries.
- Advising an IT Services Company on a data breach, including investigating the source of the breach in Asia, and advising on the legal and commercial impact, including on reporting obligations.
- Supported a English Premier League football team on their compliance with the UK Modern Slavery Act, including undertaking a review of internal systems and controls, advising on risk assessments and supply chain management and delivering training.
- Following a merger, advised a shipping classification client on post completion compliance concerns, including investigating concerns relating to the provision of services being provided in breach of international sanctions in the Middle East.