David is the Founding Partner of Tiang & Partners, which is associated with PwC Legal International Pte Ltd (a licensed Foreign Law Practice) in Singapore. His current primary focus is on governance, risk management and compliance, and he also has extensive experience in corporate commercial matters in China and other Asia jurisdictions.
David has worked in Sydney, Hong Kong and Shanghai for different international law firms and was the Asia Regional Counsel for General Electric and Walmart. He was a Partner with King & Wood Mallesons based in Shanghai from 2012 until the establishment of Tiang & Partners in 2017.
He received his LL.B and LL.M from University of Sydney and graduate diploma in Chinese Law from the University of Hong Kong. He is qualified to practice in Australia (NSW), Hong Kong and UK.
He is fluent in English, Mandarin, Cantonese and Fujian dialects.
Areas of expertise
- Regulatory compliance (including anti-corruption, privacy and cybersecurity)
- Cross-border mergers and acquisitions (including foreign direct investment, joint ventures)
- Corporate commercial and business integration
- As Compliance Monitor nominated by the World Bank Group, assisting sanctioned State Owned Companies to build comprehensive and robust compliance programs.
- Assisting companies in conducting internal investigations relating to FCPA, PRC commercial bribery or other compliance related matters, or handling regulatory investigations by PRC authorities and other crisis situations.
- Assisting clients in conducting compliance risk assessments, enhancing policies and procedures, and conducting training.
Mergers and acquisitions, and business integration:
- Assisting foreign retailers in market entry strategy or transactions (online and offline).
- Assisting Chinese clients in their ‘outbound’ investments or transactions (including post deal integration or governance matters).
- Assisting clients in their integration or restructuring strategy (including government negotiations) from factory closure to land disposal, employee realignment, etc.