Joyce is a Partner of Tiang & Partners with over 17 years of private practice corporate experience representing PRC and Hong Kong-based investors and companies in mergers and acquisitions, strategic debt/equity investments, pre-IPO financings, Hong Kong Main Board/GEM listings and post-listing compliance matters. She is also experienced in share-based incentive plans as well as fintech, crypto and digital assets related regulatory advisory projects.
Joyce previously worked for global law firm O’Melveny and has also worked in Hong Kong and Shanghai for different international law firms. She holds an LLB and PCLL from City University of Hong Kong, and a postgraduate diploma in art business from The University of Manchester. She qualified as a Hong Kong solicitor in 2005, passed the inaugural GBA legal professional examination in 2021 and assessment conducted by the Guangdong Lawyers Association.
Her working languages are English, Mandarin and Cantonese.
Areas of expertise
- Equity capital market transactions, fundraisings and Listing Rules compliance
- Cross-border M&A and joint ventures
- Corporate and commercial legal advisory
- Share-based incentive plans and employment
- Fintech, crypto and digital assets
Equity capital market transactions, fundraisings and Listing Rules compliance
- Advising on the Hong Kong listings of Shimao Services Holdings, Justin Allen Holdings, Digital Hollywood, LifeTech Scientific, Christine International, Wanguo Mining, Hengxing Gold, Shanghai Haohai Biological, Phoenix Healthcare and more.
- Advising various Hong Kong listed company clients including Chong Hing Bank, Bank of East Asia, SMIT Holdings, WH Group, ZA Online, Kerry Properties, Hysan, China U-Ton, China Harmony Auto, Crystal International Group, Sun Art Retail, GCL-Poly, Asia Cement and more on post-listing compliance matters.
- Advising a leading automobile after-sales service and parts distribution company (based in Shanghai and dual listed in Hong Kong and Taiwan), in connection with its takeover by a private equity firm through issuance of US$48 million of convertible bonds and US$48 million of new shares.
- Advising a private equity firm on its US$32 million pre-IPO investment in a Hong Kong-listed natural gas distribution company through the subscription of convertible notes.
Corporate and M&A
- Representing an industrial papermaker (listed on the Taiwan Stock Exchange) in the sale of its subsidiaries and paper mill in Shanghai to a PRC-based property group at the consideration of RMB1.3 billion.
- Advising SMIT Holdings on its acquisition of 86.36% shareholding in S2C Tech Inc. (a private company in the business of software development).
- Representing LifeTech Scientific in its issuance of convertible notes valued at HK$2 billion as part of the strategic investment by Medtronic.
- Representing Shanghai Haohai Biological (6826.HK; 688366.SH) on its acquisition of a target group in Hong Kong and Mainland China, with the main business on research and development, production and sales of hyaluronic acid and medical device products.
Employment and incentive plans
- Drafting executive compensation and equity incentive plans for numerous tech scale-ups, Hong Kong Stock Exchange listing applicants as well as for Hong Kong listed companies, with particular focus in the Fintech sector.
- Designing senior management and employee equity incentive scheme for a joint venture of a well-known Hong Kong real estate group.
- Resolving disputes involving exercise of share options by employees and optimizing employee equity incentive scheme for a social network company in Hong Kong.
- Handling Types 1, 4, 6 and 9 SFC licence applications and SFO compliance matters for various Hong Kong listed company clients.
- Advising Chen Wen Xin, an individual shareholder of Alibaba Health (HK: 241) and handled SFC regulatory enquiries and Takeovers Panel hearing in connection with the proposed reverse takeover of Alibaba Health.
- Advising on acquisitions and disposals of various SFC licensed corporations.
Fintech, crypto and digital assets
- Advising a Hong Kong based securities firm in its application of virtual asset trading platform Type 7 licence from the Securities and Futures Commission (SFC).
- Advising a Hong Kong virtual bank licence holder on regulatory enquiries from the Hong Kong Monetary Authority (HKMA).
- Advising a Swiss-based financial services and asset management company in relation to selling restrictions of financial products involving digital assets in Hong Kong.
- Advising a client in a strategic acquisition of virtual land in one of the leading blockchain metaverse platforms.