Martyn is Head of Competition Law, Asia Pacific at Tiang & Partners, and the Competition Law & Antitrust Leader for PwC Global Business Solutions. He specialises in corporate, regulatory, and competition/antitrust law, splitting his time between Hong Kong and Shanghai. Martyn regularly advises clients on multijurisdictional merger filings, dawn raids, and regulatory compliance.
Martyn has extensive experience advising clients on the establishment, expansion and restructuring of businesses (including joint ventures) in China and across Asia. Martyn's experience also includes advising on cross-border commercial disputes and contractual matters. Martyn advises clients across a range of sectors, but has particular expertise advising on regulated sectors, including TMT, education, telecommunications and broadcasting. Martyn also advises on JV establishment, contractual and commercial matters in the retail, consumer goods, manufacturing, food and agribusiness sectors. Until recently, Martyn was a non-Government advisor to the international Competition Network, appointed by the Hong Kong Competition Commission.
Martyn is recognised by a number of legal directories for his regulatory and competition law expertise, including Chambers Asia-Pacific and Legal 500 Asia Pacific.
Areas of expertise
- Corporate and commercial
- Regulatory and dawn raids
- Competition and antitrust law
- Advising an international media company on Chinese regulatory issues, business restructuring, and broadcasting regulatory approvals in relation to a global merger.
- Advising an investment bank on Chinese merger clearances in relation to two acquisitions and the creation of a joint venture.
- Advising the Shanghai consulate of a foreign government on various corporate and labour law issues.
- Advising on the restructuring of the Chinese sourcing offices of various retailers.
- Advising a UK education group on joint venture arrangements in mainland China and Hong Kong.
- Advising a US-listed online travel company on the restructuring of its China business and various regulatory and media issues.
- Advising an Australian listed nutraceutical company on advertising, distribution, and intellectual property issues in China.
Awards and recognitions
Legal 500 Asia Pacific Guide
- Antitrust and Competition in Hong Kong – Recommended Lawyer
The 'excellent' Martyn Huckerby heads up…Tiang & Partners' Asia Pacific competition law practice…Huckerby has gained significant traction in the market on merger clearance work, as well as in relation to investigations undertaken by the Hong Kong Competition Commission.
Martyn Huckerby was great in handling the requests of founding members and guiding the process during the critical phase of obtaining the required clearances from a various set of regulators.
Huckerby has broad expertise spanning the telecoms, education, and TMT sectors.
Chambers Global Guide, Greater China Region Guide
- Competition/Antitrust (International Firms) - China: Leading Individual
Martyn Huckerby of Tiang & Partners is well versed in Hong Kong antitrust regulation and in particular is well regarded for his TMT expertise. He is equipped to handle merger filings and investigations initiated by the Hong Kong Competition Commission.
‘Martyn Huckerby is extremely responsive and offers a comprehensive first-class service. He has quickly understood how our business operates and provides practical and commercial solutions to our difficult legal problems in a timely manner.’
‘Martyn is an excellent practitioner with very good relationship skills and a deep understanding of the legal landscape in mainland China and Hong Kong. He provides the right balance of legal and strategic advice across a breadth of legal issues, including antitrust.’