Nicholas is a Counsel of Tiang & Partners. He advises on cross-border mergers and acquisitions, joint ventures, private equity transactions and international business reorganisations, focusing on the Greater China and Asia Pacific region. He frequently negotiates, drafts and advises on shareholders’ agreements, share purchase agreements and business transfer agreements as well as all matters of corporate and commercial law, including matters with technology and/or digital elements.
Nicholas is an examiner for the commercial and company law paper of the Hong Kong Overseas Lawyer Qualification Examination (OLQE).
Prior to joining the firm, Nicholas worked at Mayer Brown Hong Kong for nine years. He holds a Bachelor and Master of Arts in Law from the University of Cambridge, as well as a PCLL from the University of Hong Kong. He also holds a Master of Chinese Studies degree, jointly awarded by the University of Edinburgh and University of Glasgow, with exchange to Nankai University.
Areas of expertise
- Cross-border mergers and acquisitions
- Joint ventures and partnerships
- Private equity transactions
- International business reorganisations and restructurings
- Advising a multinational entertainment and record label conglomerate on its acquisition of the music recording and artist management business of one of the largest independent music companies in Greater China with operations in the PRC, Taiwan and Hong Kong.
- Advising on and documenting the establishment of an international consortium in relation to a blockchain-based technology platform, in conjunction with PwC Consulting.
- Advising on various corporate restructuring projects for PepsiCo, Fung Group and other multinational companies.
- Advising the retail arm of a global company on the establishment of its China e-commence joint venture with an American fashion company.
- Advising a European retailer on its joint venture with a Chinese business-to-consumer online retail platform.
- Acting for a business-to-business media company on its sale of its majority interest in its electronic devices joint venture, including print and online publications serving Asia’s electronics community.
- Advising a global supply chain company and a Chinese private equity company in relation to a number of their brand-licensing joint ventures in Asia and Europe.
- Acting for a shipbuilding company on its acquisition of a 50.75% stake in a Singapore-listed shipbuilder.
- Acting for a shipbuilding company in the formation of its joint venture with a China shipbuilding corporation to design and develop cruise vessels for the China market.
- Advising a global supply chain company and global fashion company on their acquisitions of different businesses e.g. trading, cosmetics, etc.