Rebecca is a Partner at Tiang & Partners who has over 20 years of experience in projects/infrastructure and corporate/M&A, advising clients in Hong Kong, China and South East Asia. As a corporate/M&A lawyer, she assists multinational corporations on the establishment of joint ventures (including largescale industrial projects) and cross-border M&A transactions. On the projects/infrastructure front, she advises sponsors and multilateral agencies on projects in the water, waste, transport, power, hospitality and sport facilities sectors.
Prior to joining the firm, Rebecca was a Partner at global legal and consulting firm MinterEllison. She also worked for an international law firm (Gide Loyrette Nouel) in Paris, Beijing and Hong Kong. She is qualified to practice in Hong Kong and France (Paris).
She is fluent in English, French and Italian.
Areas of expertise
- Projects & infrastructure
- Cross-border M&A
- Joint ventures and partnerships
- General corporate and commercial legal advisory
China / Hong Kong
- Acting for various international companies in a broad range of Hong Kong corporate matters: debt-equity swaps, capital reduction, capital reorganisations, transfer of assets under the Transfer of Business (Protection of Creditors) Ordinance Cap. 49, etc.
- Acting for various international companies in a broad range of PRC foreign-direct investment related matters: joint ventures, acquisitions, disposal of assets, reorganisation, and a broad range of related commercial issues (employment, IP, etc.).
- Acting for a global MNC in relation to the transfer of its entire waste treatment projects portfolio in Greater China into its historical joint venture holding set up with a major infrastructure company listed in Hong Kong. The joint venture now holds all water and waste water projects in Greater China.
- Acting in China and Hong Kong in relation to (i) the structuring and implementation of more than 20 municipal projects (BOT, TOT and concessions) for the construction, financing and operation of municipal water and sewage treatment and supply facilities, and (ii) various outsourcing/industrial projects.
- Acting in relation to (i) the construction and operation of the first hazardous waste treatment facility in the municipality of Tianjin, as well as (ii) the restructuring of various landfill and waste treatment joint venture companies in Hong Kong and China.
- Advising a leading European transport operator in connection with the acquisition of a major Hong Kong public transport company.
- Advising a leading European transport operator in the negotiation of a joint venture with a public-listed China company for the operation of urban bus lines in Nanjing and six surrounding municipalities.
- Acting for a global energy services company (engaged in cogeneration, facilities management, heating and cooling systems) in the structuring and implementation of concession-based projects for urban heat supply in Jiamusi and Harbin (Heilongjiang), as well as on the contemplated reorganisation of its China portfolio.
- Acting for the successful bidder for the financing, construction and operation of the Beijing National Stadium for the 2008 Olympic Games.
- Advising a world leading construction company in its bid for the construction and operation of the new Hanthawaddy International Airport and for the construction/upgrading and operation of the second international terminal of Yangon International Airport.
- Advising a global telecom operator on its bid (together with a major public-listed Japan corporation) for the contemplated award of one of the two nationwide mobile licenses.
- Advising an international hospitality operator on the review of its hotel management agreement for a new four-star hotel in Yangon.
- Acting for an international construction company in its bid for an EPC contract for a large mining project in Indonesia, including registration of a construction representative office (BUJKA) and provision of legal advice for the contemplated incorporation of a construction subsidiary (PMA).
- Acting as legal adviser to a multilateral agency in relation to a municipal landfill project in the city of Berhampur (State of Odisha).
- Acting as legal adviser to a multilateral agency in relation to a street lighting energy efficiency project in the city of Bhubaneswar (State of Odisha).