William is highly regarded by clients for his practical, commercially savvy legal and strategic advice. An international trade and supply chain lawyer and adviser with more than 20 years of experience in large international firms and senior-level in-house counsel positions at listed companies, William has extensive experience acting for multinational clients in their new market entry efforts across Asia, as well as in trade regulatory matters such as Chinese customs audits and investigations, trade remedy actions, post-merger integration of supply chain operations as well as supply chain restructuring projects for duty and tax efficiency.
Areas of expertise
- International trade regulation
- China customs audits and investigations
- Trade remedies and safeguards
- Export controls and sanctions
- Preferential trade agreements
- Supply chain commercial (distribution and licensing agreements, logistics and warehouse agreements, e-commerce set-up)
- Foreign direct investment
- Post-merger integration of supply chain operations
- Supply chain restructuring projects for duty and tax efficiency
- Acting for a multinational automotive manufacturer in a successful appeal of a contentious valuation audit in China.
- Advising a listed specialty retailer on all aspects of their China market entry from corporate formation, cosmetics regulatory requirements and intercompany transaction structuring.
- Acting for a global manufacturer on its supply chain restructure optimising free trade agreements between China and ASEAN as well as under the ASEAN Trade in Goods Agreement.
- Representing a high-tech manufacturer in two concurrent Anti-Smuggling Bureau investigations in China as well as the remediation of enterprise credit rating downgrading.
- Advising a multinational footwear manufacturer and brand owner on its Asia Pacific distribution and wholesale agreements, including trademark licensing and tax-optimised supply chain planning.
- Advising a Chinese multinational telecommunication equipment manufacturer on export control and sanctions investigations and establishment of a robust compliance program.