29 January 2021
Rui Bai Law Firm and Tiang & Partners have been recognised by Legal 500 Asia Pacific 2021, an independent publication which ranks top legal firms and practitioners in over 150 jurisdictions.
Collectively, the firms achieved six firm rankings and seven lawyer recommendations. Of particular note, the Hong Kong Aviation Finance team has received a firm ranking as well as individual mentions for each team member.
A summary of the rankings is provided below:
Rui Bai Law Firm
- TMT (PRC Firms) in China – Tier 3
- Data Protection (PRC Firms) in China – Tier 3
- Barbara Li – Fintech (PRC Firms) in China – Leading individual
- Barbara Li – TMT (PRC Firms) in China – Recommended individual
Legal 500 review:
- [Rui Bai Law Firm] has expertise in technology outsourcing, regulatory issues, as well as TMT M&A. The group was given a significant boost by the arrival of Barbara Li from Norton Rose Fulbright in June 2020, adding a TMT veteran with a specialism in regulatory issues.
- ‘The team led by Barbara Li has deep insights in data compliance, as well as a keen sense of smell and forward-looking opinions on cutting-edge regulations.’
- ‘Barbara Li has a deep understanding of the data compliance obligations of foreign-funded enterprises, and is more practical when providing legal advice, and can find a balance between compliance and solutions.’
Tiang & Partners
- Structured Finance and Securitisation in Hong Kong – Tier 2
- Capital Markets: Foreign Firms in South Korea – Tier 4
- Antitrust and Competition in Hong Kong – Tier 3
- Asset Finance (including Aviation and Shipping Finance) in Hong Kong – Tier 4
- Michelle Taylor – Structured Finance and Securitisation in Hong Kong – Recommended individual
- Michelle Taylor – Capital Markets: Foreign Firms in South Korea – Recommended individual
- Tejaswi Nimmagadda – Asset Finance (including Aviation and Shipping Finance) in Hong Kong – Recommended individual
- Martyn Huckerby – Antitrust and Competition in Hong Kong – Recommended individual
- Kevin Tsang – Capital Markets: Foreign Firms in South Korea – Recommended individual
- Other key lawyers listed include Nai Kwok, Tatianna Wong and Charissa Chu for Asset Finance (including Aviation and Shipping Finance)
Legal 500 reviews:
- With Michelle Taylor at the helm, the team at Tiang & Partners is establishing itself as a key player in the cross-border Korean securitisation market. Another key practice member is of counsel Kevin Tsang.
- Since establishing the [Asia Pacific competition law] practice in the middle of 2018, former King & Wood Mallesons partner Huckerby has gained significant traction in the market on merger clearance work, as well as in relation to investigations undertaken by the Hong Kong Competition Commission.
- Although it is in its infancy, the small four-strong team [in the Asset/Aviation Finance group] punches above its weight and is able to effectively leverage vast tax and deal team resources within the firm's broader alliance with accountancy heavyweight PwC.
- ‘This firm has long time experience and in-depth knowledge of the Korean capital market, particularly in the securitisation area.’
- ‘Michelle Taylor and her team are very well recognised by Korean financial companies for their dedication to the deal and their deep understanding – they always came up with a viable structure when clients are struggling to find a solution.’
- ‘Michelle Taylor is trusted and well-respected in this area.’
- ‘Very responsive and unlocked what could have been a daunting exercise for a Europe-based client needing to navigate a PRC competition filing.’
- ‘Martyn Huckerby is excellent – he’s all over the technical detail (and produces the analysis on paper to back it up) but when speaking to the commercial team he gets right to the point.’
Legal 500 ranks lawyers and law firms using both qualitative and quantitative research methods. Assessment is based on information gathered via submissions and interviews taking into consideration a wide variety of factors including legal technical ability, bench strength, cross-practice abilities, client service, and market standing.
About the firms:
Rui Bai Law Firm is an independent law firm and a member of the PwC global network of firms.
Tiang & Partners is an independent Hong Kong law firm which closely collaborates with PwC.